phone: +420 776 223 443
e-mail: support@londoncreative.co.uk

Sunday 9 June 2013

What has Chael Sonnen got on the UFC?

My thoughts on Chael Sonnen getting to headline UFC on Fox Sports 1

by John Haigh @JohnBJayHaigh


When Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, had to drop out of the fight with Mauricio “Shogun” Rua at UFC 161 due to back problems Chael Sonnen offered his services straight away.

Shogun immediately accepted, but the fight isn’t going to happen at UFC 161 on June 15th in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. It will instead be the headlining bout at UFC on FS1 1 on Aug 17th in Boston.
Sonnen announced the bout on Tuesday night’s edition of UFC Tonight.

“Shogun and I are going to be the main event on FOX Sports 1 on Aug. 17. We were going to fight in Winnipeg, and they pulled it,” Sonnen proclaimed before getting his digs in at his original target, Wanderlei Silva.

“I like Shogun. I admire him a lot,” he continued. “I wanted to fight Wanderlei. He’s the worst fighter in the UFC. I couldn’t get him. I figured I’d get the guy who destroyed Wanderlei in the practice room for all these years.”

So why does Sonnen keep getting these big fights?
Sure he can sell a fight with his endless ramblings and trash talking but surely there’s someone actually deserving of a bout with a top 10 ranked fighter? Maybe the current 10th placed fighter Ryan Bader?
In my eyes Sonnen has only won one of his last five fights and that was against Brian Stann in 2011. It might say win from the Bisping fight but everyone who has seen the fight says Bisping won two rounds including UFC President Dana White.

So in my opinion I really can’t see why they keep giving him these fights he clearly doesn’t deserve them.

As for Sonnen saying “I wanted to fight Wanderlei. He’s the worst fighter in the UFC.” Silva has had more fights then Sonnen and lost less than Sonnen. Surely “The worst fighter in the UFC” title is a title that Sonnen could actually win.

No comments:

Post a Comment