phone: +420 776 223 443
e-mail: support@londoncreative.co.uk

Sunday 2 June 2013

Roundtable - Should Forrest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar really be in the UFC Hall Of Fame

Kingdom MMA discuss the latest Hall Of Fame announcements



The guys at Kingdom MMA decided we would discuss the latest UFC Hall Of Fame announcements and see what our opinions are on Stephan Bonnar and Forrest Griffin being inducted in to the Hall Of Fame.

Do you think that Forest and Stephan should be in the Hall of fame.

Tommy: I would prefer to see the fight inducted as it was a pivotal moment in the history of UFC. Regarding the fighters themselves its a little harder to justify.

Jack: I think Forrest absolutely deserves to be in but not Bonnar. I agree with Tommy, I like the idea of a section of the Hall of Fame being reserved for specific fights. There needs to be a way for this fight to be remembered but not necessarily Bonnar as a fighter

John: Griffin yes, Bonnar no. I agree the fight was probably one of the best in MMA history, but fighters shouldn't just get in to the Hall of Fame on one fight alone.

Forest as a fighter has stood out all of the time I've been watching fights. He always leaves it all in the cage and was a fan favourite for that. Bonnar on the other hand, I can only think of two fights he has been in of the top of my head.

Ben: Right well I am going to disagree with you all, I think that both men should go in to the Hall of Fame. That fight single handedly changed the whole sport of MMA and I think inducting them both is the least the UFC could do to thank them for what has resulted since. The UFC would not be as big as it is today without that fight. The fight itself, when it was and where it was broadcast has played a massive part of making the UFC what it is today.

I do however accept that Bonnar may be seen as a controversial choice due to his failed drugs tests especially how his career ended on a very bad note from what could have been the biggest moment in his career.

Chris: I personally would love to see Griffin vs Bonner the fight in the hall of fame, but do Griffin and Bonner deserve to be in the hall of fame just because the made the UFC a shit load of money of the back of there war.... hell no!

Fair enough Griffin has had a reasonable career, even briefly holding the UFC Light-Heavyweight Belt, but Bonnar, the guy finished 8-7 in the UFC and got busted for drugs twice in the meantime. I think its a compete disrespect to the many more talented fighters out there who have graced the octagon - Evan Tanner, BJ Penn, Frank Shamrock, Jens Pulver, Pat Miletich to name a few.

I also completely disagree with you to be honest, Ben. Griffin vs Bonnar didn't change anything about the sport of MMA, all it did was take it more mainstream. Maybe we should put the producer over at spike in the hall of fame as well because they decided to broadcast the show in the first place.

John: It put TUF on the map not MMA as a whole and it just goes to show that opinions vary a lot even amongst us and that the decision makers must have a lot of fun deciding who is awarded a place in the hall of fame.

Jack: I'd also like to quickly point out Chris' point about many more fighters deserving to go in is a very valid one in my book. Especially Evan Tanner and Jens Pulver. They are both legends that have accomplished much more and done a lot for the sport of MMA and the UFC

Tommy: You can't in my eyes induct two fighters into the hall of fame for one fight! No matter what it has done for the sport. I'm sure it would have taken off with or without that fight. Though i appreciate the significance of the fight, it should come down to more than just one fight. The Hall of Fame has to kept for special fighters and achievements.

Ben: I completely agree that a lot more fighters deserve to be in the hall of fame, but we have to remember its the UFC Hall of Fame and not the MMA hall of fame for that I still stick with my agreement for this decision to induct both fighters.

Chris: Seriously though, Bonnar over BJ Penn - have a word with yourself UFC!

Tommy: I'd even have Brock Lesnar in the Hall of Fame before those two!

Jack: Light Heavyweights alone Bonnar isn't even top 20. With his record he's not even close.

As you can see its a decision which has split the teams opinions, if you have an opinion please comment below to let the team know what you think about the latest Hall of Fame announcements.

No comments:

Post a Comment