phone: +420 776 223 443
e-mail: support@londoncreative.co.uk

Saturday 15 June 2013

Fighter vs Writer: Cage Warriors Champion Jim Alers - UFC 161


Fighter vs Writer: Cage Warriors Champion Jim Alers - UFC 161
by Chris Houten - @KingdomMMAChris 


Kingdom MMA is back with Fighter vs Writer and this time we going in harder than ever.

Gone is Luke Barnatt. We loved working with Luke but as nice of a guy Bigslow is, he knows and we know, after losing back to back event to our guy Ben Heather, he didn't really want it any more.

So in steps Cage Warriors Featherweight Champion Jim Alers, to take on late replacement for the injured Ben Heather, Chris Houten also coming out of the infamous Kingdom MMA camp.

Currently on a 6 fight win streak, 26 year old Alers (10-1, 5-0 CW) has shown himself to be a real prospect who can finish fights standing or on the ground having finished all his opponents.

A brown belt in BJJ, Alers is one of the best featherweights in the world at this point, and has been tipped to be fighting in The UFC with just a few more wins.

So without further adieu...... it's time!

The Scoring 

One point is scored for predicting the winner of the bout, with an additional point added for predicting the correct method by which the winner takes victory. For all fights which end by stoppage, an additional bonus point can be earned by prediction the round in which the fight will stopped. For fights than go the distance you can only earn a maximum of two points

Rashad Evans vs Dan Henderson

Alers: Not real excited about this fight I think that there is not going to be a lot of excitement to be honest. I see Hendo going for the famous H-Bomb a lot in this fight but it just not finding it's mark. I have Evans taking this fight by playing it smart and using and youth and speed to stay out of the way of the hay maker and grinding out a dec.

Pick: Rashad Evans - Decision

Houten: I actually find this fight kind of intriguing - 2 great wrestler who can knockout any one in the division with one shot.

Realistically Evans is the better fighter. He fights much more intelligently the Hendo, he faster hands than Henderson, and has an excellent wrestling pedigree which Evans uses better in MMA than Dan. That being said, I wouldn't rule out Henderson ending this fight with one big shot, but I think Rashads athleticism, and better overall game wins him this fight by clear cut decision.

Pick: Rashad Evans - Decision

Roy Nelson vs Stipe Miocic 

Alers: Roy Nelson is one of my favorite fighters in the UFC. I can't go against Big Country.  He is going to go for the kill quick and I have him getting the KO in the second round. Miocic is just not ready for his power or for his chin

Pick: Pick Roy Nelson - TKO RD 2  

Houten: As much as I like to watch Roy Nelson, in fact he is probably in my top 3 of of active fighter, I was looking forward to Miocic vs Palelei much more than I am Nelson vs Miocic. Why you ask if Nelson is one of my favourite fighters? Well I just don't see this fight being that competitive.

For Miocic to win this one he needs to use his wrestling and turn the fight into a snoozefest - hold Nelson against the cage, or pin him to the canvas and hope Nelson left BJJ blackbelt at home.

I see this going the completely opposite way, and Nelson blasting Miocic they way only Roy Nelson can.... this one won't go past the first.

Pick: Roy Nelson - TKO RD 1

Ryan Jimmo vs. Igor Pokrajac  

Alers: I think Ryan Jimmo is hungry since he is coming off only his second loss of his career. I see him controlling the whole fight and also get a unanimous decision in this one.

Pick: Ryan Jimmo - Decision

Houten: This fight is a complete pick 'em, I think either guy could win, and I like that.

While I feel both guys sometimes fail to exhibit there true talents in the cage, I do appreciate the way both are willing to stand in the pocket and trade.

Realistically, either guy could win, but I'll got for Jimmo purely as he is the bigger power puncher.

Pick: Ryan Jimmo - Decision

Alexis Davis vs. Rosi Sexton

Alers: This one is a no brainer. I have Rosi Sexton all the way. Cage Warrior Alumni have to stick together. I always think the female fights are far more exciting then many male fights and I have this one going the distance as well but in a very close back and forth fight.  

Pick: Rosi Sexton - Decision

Houten: While I admire Jim for his loyalty to Rosi Sexton, this fight is Alexis Davis' to lose. 

Although its hard to back against a fellow Brit, I think Sexton might be a little small to compete at 135 in the UFC, and I like Davis to drag this fight to the floor fight and submit Sexton.

Pick: Alexis Davis - Submission 

Pat Barry vs Shawn Jordan

Alers: I like Pat Barry but hey what the heck I'm going to say this is my wildcats fight and I'm going to go with Shawn Jordan for the TKO in the first round. I even think fan might think it's an early stoppage and boo at the refs dec. lol that would be great if I call this one to the T.

Pick - Shawn Jordan - TKO RD 1

Houten: I love Pat Barry, as a fighter and as a person. He brings it in every fight, and this fight has got fight of the night written all over it. 

Shawn Jordan is an athletic guy, and a former pro football player has excellent reflexes and power to match, but Barry is by far the better striker, and has added submissions to his game...... atleast when he is doing random BJJ competitions in Colorado.

Can I see Barry losing to a guy with a tongue ring? Sure tongue ring or not you can't count any heavyweight out, but I've got Barry knocking out Jordan for his first back to back victory since entering The UFC.

Pick - Pat Barry - TKO RD 2

Kingdom MMA would like to thank Jim Alers in advance for his participation in Fighter vs Writer. For more on Jim Alers, check our www.fightjim.com and follow Alers on Twitter - @fightjim 


 





No comments:

Post a Comment