phone: +420 776 223 443
e-mail: support@londoncreative.co.uk

Friday 5 April 2013

UFC on Fuel TV 9 Main Card Picks

UFC Stockholm 2013 Main Card Picks

by Ben Heather @benheather


Gegard Mousasi vs Ilir Latifi

Chris: By all accounts Latifi has pretty descent wrestling, and has been able to translate his skills to MMA with good effect, but Mousasi is one of the best 205ers in the world. Sure, if he does have a weakness its his takedown defence but Mousasi showed his improvement in this area of his game in the Jardine fight, and I doubt very much Latifi's wrestling is on Lawals level.

While I can image the Swedish fans who love a Rocky style victory, I cant see it happening – Mousasi by first round TKO.

Prediction: Mousasi TKO Rd 1

Ben: Before we get to the prediction of this fight (which will come as no surprise) I would like to say that I have got so much respect for Latifi. For a fighter to step up on 4 days notice and not only fight in the UFC for the first time but to headline the card in your home country takes some balls and I hope Dana rewards him for this fact and gives him another fight after this.

But for this fight I struggle to see anything other than Mousasi dominate until he finally finishes Latifi, I cant see anyway in which Mousasi loses this fight unless he gets in the cage and just is not focused on the fight. I predict heart alone will see Latifi get out of the first round but then I see Mousasi finishing him in the second with a TKO.

Prediction: Mousasi TKO Rd 2

Ross Pearson vs Ryan Couture

Chris: Fact – Ryan Couture is not on Ross Pearson's level. Sure he is durable, and hasn’t done too bad so far in his MMA career (certainly better than I expected), but I don't see how he wins this fight. Pearson has fought, and finished better fighters and I expect him to do the same in this bout.

Prediction: Pearson

Ben: Some people have said that Ryan is being punished by Dana because of the beef between Dana and his dad. I don't think that is the case however I really do think that Pearson will be too powerful for Couture. Just look at the last fights of both fighters, Couture won on the final Strikeforce card but that was a split decision win over K J Noons (a fight which many thought Noons should have got the decision win). Now compare that to the last fight Pearson had where he destroyed George Sotiropoulos. Ross did not rush in when he had George rocked in the first round but instead kept a cool head and knew he had him beat it was just a matter of when.

I accept that Couture is a very good wrestler and may be able to test Pearson in that area but i think that Pearson will come in to this game with a plan for that which give him another third round TKO win and back to back wins for the first time since 2010. Pearson's experience in the UFC will prove ultimately too much for him.

Prediction Pearson TKO Rd 3

Matt Mitrione vs Phil De Fries

Chris: I know Ben isn't keen on this fight, but I can see this one being a pretty descent battle, one which could ultimately prove to be a loser goes home fight. I know most people are backing Mitrione going into this one, making him a sizeable favourite with the book makers, but I like De Fries to stay in Mitrione's face, push him against the cage, work for takedowns and grind out a unanimous decision.

Prediction: De Fries UD

Ben: As Chris said I am not really a fan of either of these fighters and i really believe that this is a fight between two guys who's jobs are on the line. The loser in my opinion will be cut from the UFC, and if they are not then they certainly should be. De Fries started his career 8-0 but now finds himself 9-2 after a 1-2 run in 2012 with defeats to Stipe Miocic and Todd Duffee. As for Mitrione, who has only ever fought for the UFC as a professional fighter, he also started his career with a 5-0 run but has lost his last 2 fights and is now 5-2. Mitrione's last win in the octagon was way back in June 2011. 

I believe De Fries has the better chance of winning this fight but it is not a fight that i am looking forward to going in to this card and the fact it is the third from last fight on the card proves the card doesn't have much depth to it. I predict this fight as a good time to go and refill your drinks or pop to the toilet and wait for the Pearson fight. I do however think that De Fries will have enough to eek out a Unanimous Decision victory.

Prediction: De Fries UD

Brad Pickett vs Mike Easton

Chris: Mike Easton is a talent guy, but is it me or does it feel like he holds back in his fights? Not taking anything away from Easton, I think this fight could go either way, both guys are great on the ground, but Pickett is definitely the better boxer – he has better movement and throws better combinations.

Prediction: Pickett

Ben: This is my prediction for fight of the night, we all know all Pickett wants to do is get in to a scrap and have a stand up war, if this happens I think will win the fight and potentially even finish Easton.

However Eddie Wineland proved how to beat Pickett in his last fight so if Easton comes out and does the same again it will ultimately be very disappointing for the crowd and all the fans watching around the world.

I still think that Easton will want to come out and put on a show so this will be great for all of us fans, just not so good for him in my opinion.

Prediction: Pickett TKO Rd 3

Diego Brandao vs Pablo Garza

Chris: This is a flip a coin fight for me. Part of me can see Brandao going out there and absolutely destroying Garza, another part of me can see Garza weathering the storm, using his experience and awkward frame, tiring Brandao out and getting the decision – either way I see this fight as a fight of the night contender. I'm picking Brandao. I think he look great against Joey Gambino, he can credit Jacksons MMA for his ever improving game (takedown defence), and as a rule of thumb I find it hard to back against Brazilians.

Prediction: Brandao

Ben: After seeing Diego fight on the ultimate fighter i thought this guy was going to be a real contender and then his first fight after the show he came out the blocks flying before getting tired early which cost him the fight vs Darren Elkins. I cant see Diego letting that happen again especially against Garza.

Garza ended a two fight losing streak with his win against Mark Hominick but i think this fight will see Brandoa steam roll through Garza and pick up the first round KO. This fight also has a lot of potential to put on a show for the fans and should be a fun fight.... while it lasts.

Prediction: Brandao KO Rd 1

Akira Corassani vs Robbie Peralta


Chris: While it appears Corassani has come a long way since his time on the ultimate fighter – his ground game is greatly improved, I wasn't too impressed with him in his win over Ogle, a fight which I scored for Ogle. His opponent Peralta is a fast, aggressive fighter who enter the bout unbeaten in his last 9 fights. While the home town crowd with be all over the Swede Corrassani, I like Peralta to spoil the parade just as he did in Nottingham either winning by TKO or decisive unanimous victory.

Prediction: Peralta

Ben: Both of these fighters last fought at UFC on Fuel TV 5 and on that night they both picked up wins but in very different circumstances. Peralta won via a 23 second knock out in the very first fight of the night which got people talking about his power. Whereas Corassani won a split decision against Andy Ogle in a fight which i still think Ogle won.

Seeing those fights live, being in the arena in Nottingham was a great experience and it changed my opinion on both of these fighters. If this fight took place 12 months ago I would have predicted Corassani to win but after seeing how powerful Perelta was i cant look past that. I see this fight going the distance but Peralta will disappoint the home crowd in Stockholm and take a Unanimous Decision win.

Prediction: Peralta UD

Keep checking Kingdom MMA for all the latest news on UFC on Fuel TV 9, UFC and all the latest MMA news from around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment