phone: +420 776 223 443
e-mail: support@londoncreative.co.uk

Wednesday 17 April 2013

Jim Alers on becoming champ "This is one of the best feeling I have had"

Kingdom MMA post fight interview with Cage Warriors Champ Jim Alers

by Chris Houghton @Houts4thewin


On Saturday night Jim Alers became the new Cage Warriors Featherweight champion capturing the belt with a 4th round armbar. In the process he improved his record to a very impressive 10-1 including a current run of 6-0.

This morning Jim spoke with Kingdom MMA about his fight, becoming the champion and his plans for the future.

Chris: When we caught up with you last week Jim you were excited to be making the journey over to Scotland. What did you think of Glasgow as a whole - the people, the place, and the culture?
Alers: It's a wonderful place full of great history. The people there were all so kind and welcoming. The crowd was also very supportive and seemed educated in MMA. I was glad I got to experience Scotland.

Chris: How are you feeling since winning the CW belt, on top of the world I should imagine?
Alers: This is one of the best feelings that I have had. I worked so hard to get here so I am going to treasure every minute of it.

Chris: Salovaara proved he was a tough fighter by taking you past the 2nd round for the first time in your career, have you taken anything away from the fight that you would like to work on?
Alers: I will like to work on sooo many things. I want to get better everyday to become a more complete fighter. I saw my weaknesses and I will work on them as soon as I get back to the states.

Chris: What was the game plan going into this fight; did you envision a submission victory?
Alers: The game plan was to stand and trade a little bit for each round. I wanted to use my stand up for at least half of each round. I just couldn't find the distance with him so it wasn't working out the way I planned.

Chris: You looked like you started to slow going in to the 3rd and 4th but it looked like your cardio was still there. How did you feel going past the 2nd round?
Alers: To be honest I think the nerves got to me. He hurt my nose in the first pretty bad and it was hard to breath but I think I got an adrenalin dump. I just wanted the title so badly

Chris: You mentioned in our last interview you had been training at Duke Roufus' for this fight, did you feel you were able to apply what you learnt there well in this fight?
Alers: I threw my first kick so I guess I can say I learned that from being at Dukes. I wish I opened up more on my feet but that will take time and practice. I'm sure it will all come together soon.

Chris: You mentioned you wanted to fight again in July, how likely is that looking right now? and do you have any opponents in mind?
Alers: Right now I feel I can fight tomorrow so as long as Cage Warriors says yes I will be ready to fight. I have no idea who will be next in line for my belt. There are so many great fighters in Cage Warriors that it could be a number of people

Chris: After seeing the past title holder Conor McGregor progress his career and cause a storm in his UFC debut, how close do you feel you are from following in his footsteps into the UFC?
Alers: I feel that I am knocking on their door at the moment. I can't be very far from fighting in the Octagon.

Chris: Whats the plan now for Jim Alers, a nice break, or you already back in the gym?
Alers: I am actually going to go train today in London. I'm going to stay in shape and be ready for any opportunities that come my way.

Once again Jim thanks for your time, and all of us at Kingdom MMA can not wait to see you back in the cage soon, defending your title for Cage Warriors.

No comments:

Post a Comment