phone: +420 776 223 443
e-mail: support@londoncreative.co.uk

Tuesday 9 April 2013

Jim Alers Talks Cage Warriors, Title Fights, Weight Cuts, CW53, and Conor McGregor


Jim Alers Talks to Kingdom MMA
By - Chris Houten - @houts4thewin


On Saturday night Jim Alers a BJJ Brown belt fighting out of Orlando, Florida will take the centre of the cage in the main event at Cage Warriors 53 where he will take on Joni Salovaara in the biggest fight of his career.

Currently on a 5 fight win streak, 26 year old Alers (9-1, 2-0 CW) has shown himself to be a real prospect who can finish fights standing or on the ground entering the fight having finished all his opponents within 2 rounds.

Going into the fight I had the pleasure of talking to Alers about Cage Warriors, title fights, weight cuts, Conor McGregor and of course his opponent on Saturday, Joni Salovaara.

Chris: On April 13th you will be taking on Joni Salovaara for the Cage Warriors Feathweight title in Glasgow, is it safe to say this is the biggest fight of your careers?
Alers: Yes this is defiantly the biggest fight of my career so far. The Cage Warriors Title will be a giant leap forward towards all my future goals in the MMA business. I understand that I need to come into this fight with everything my body has to offer.

Your opponent is a pretty well rounded fighter, have you seen many of his fights?
I have seen a couple of his fights on YouTube and yes he is well rounded. He has finished fights standing and on the ground as well. He also has experience in boxing matches and grappling tournaments so I am sure he is dangerous in every situation

From what you have seen of Salovaara do you think he has any weaknesses?
I think every fighter has weaknesses. My coaches and I have worked on many things that we feel will work in this fight against Salovaara and I am excited to put the game plan to use.

Your a BJJ Brown belt with some impressive Abu Dhabi Pro Trials results under your belt, Is it safe to say your ground game is much more advanced than his, and is this something you will look to exploit?
I know that I have a high level BJJ game but MMA is completely different. When you throw punches and elbows into the mix that could make a mediocre grappler look like a world champion black belt and could make a black belt look like a beginner. I am ready to take the fight wherever I feel will help me walk away with that belt.
Cage warriors 53 will be your 3rd fight outside of the US, how do you find fighting abroad?
Fighting over seas is the best thing in the world. I get to travel the world and fight for a living. I don't know about you but I think that is the best profession in the world. Not many people from the US have ever left their hometowns.

Do you go into these fights feeling less pressure, as most ofyour friends and family aren't at the venue watching you?
In a way I would have to say yes. I like the feeling of saying good bye to my loved ones and ensuring them that I will return from battle unharmed and victorious. The one time I loss it was so hard to go and face my family and friends afterwards. I never want to have that feeling again.

Does fighting abroad make the weight cut more difficult?
At first it felt more difficult to make the weight when fighting abroad but now I think I have it down to a science. The lay overs in the airports are the hardest part. All you see is food around you and you're just bored waiting for the plane.

When will you leave for Scotland?
I leave for Scotland on Wednesday April 10th. I am hoping that the weather has warmed up over there because being from Florida does not mix well with visiting cold weather climates. 

How has your training camp gone for this fight, I believe you have spent some of the camp training at Duke Roufas' with Anthony Pettis and Ben Askren?
I couldn't of asked for a better training camp. I have trained all aspects of the MMA game and my strength and conditioning in on another level. Training at Dukes was an unforgettable experience because I trained with a few world champions and Anthony Pettis is next in line for the UFC featherweight title. I don't think a fighter can ask for more.

In your 9 wins you have never been passed the second round, how prepared are you for a 5 round fight?
I am prepared for overtime if it comes to it. My main worry is that I never want to gas out in a fight and so I make it my mission to come in there with the best cardio that I can possibly have.

You was expected to fight Conor McGregor last sept. before McGregor picked up an injury. How disappointed are you to not getthat fight before he signed with the UFC?
It seems like a lot of people really wanted to see that fight and are more disappointed than I am that it didn't happen. I have said this a few times to a couple of different people. It was never about fighting Conor. I could care less about him. It's always been about winning that Cage Warriors title and taking out who ever stands in my way.

How has your experience with the new Safe MMA initiative been so far, and how does it compare to the practises in place in The US?
To be honest I have no idea what the Safe MMA initiative is. I have seen a few post about it on twitter but never really got to find out a lot about it. From the sounds of it though it sounds like its for the good of the fighter and making sure that they come out of their fights in one piece.

Thanks for your time Jim, and good luck for the fight on Saturday. Is there anyone you would like to thank?
Thank you for finding interest in me. I would like to thank Alliance Orlando, Pichi's boxing Pit and Crossfit Tough as Nails for getting me ready for this fight. I also want to thank all my sponsors for helping me out with this fight. NVRTAP, FastWax, Brawlic, Martial Art Life and Well Rounded Warrior. A special shout out to Hank, Brad, Anthony and my wife for everything they do in my life. 
Cage Warriors 53, stream live in The UK through Cagewarriors.com - Prelims begin at 20:00 GMT

No comments:

Post a Comment