phone: +420 776 223 443
e-mail: support@londoncreative.co.uk

Wednesday 10 April 2013

Kingdom MMA Exclusive Interview with Joanne Calderwood ahead of Cage Warriors 53

Joanne Calderwood talks Cage Warriors 53, Invicta, her friendship with Stitch Duran plus much more

by Ben Heather @benheather


Kingdom MMA today had the pleasure of asking Joanne Calderwood (5-0 MMA) some questions ahead of her fight against Sally Krumdiack which is the co main event on this weekends Cage Warriors 53 card. The Cage Warriors 53 card will be held in Calderwood's home town of Glasgow, Scotland.

Ben: Hi Joanne, thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to answer some questions for Kingdom MMA.

Ben: Your last two fights were with Invicta, which you won both and now make your Cage Warriors debut on Saturday. What are your thoughts of fighting for Invicta?  It seems to be the promotion on everyone's lips lately.
Joanne: Its pretty remarkable what Invicta's achieved in just more than a year, but from their first one to their last one they are always asking what could make it better and how can they grow.

To be honest I don't know how it can be any better, being part of it is so amazing everything is looked at in great perceive esp the matchmaking. I think Invicta is going to be around for a long time and I hope this is inspiring the next generation of female mma fighters.

Ben: Is there much difference between fighting for Invicta in the states and fighting back home in the UK?
Joanne: No not really apart from the travelling. When I travel I take my home comforts with me (my sleeping bag and a few other items) I love going away and meeting new people, but also like that the guys at the gym don't need to wait up for me to fight in early hours of the morning with time difference and they can come watch live. Same with my mum, brother and sister I'm hoping in future I can bring them out to the states to see me fight there but for me a fights a fight regardless of where it is.

Ben: Do you feel more pressure fighting at home or when travelling to the States to fight under Invicta?
Joanne: No I don't like taking pressure on, in every day life there are enough stress/ worry/ pressure and I think there is always ways around this to help, like trying to stay positive and taking good vibes and using them.

I'm a great believer in things happen for a reason :) I prepare in a way that means there very little pressure on me.

Ben: Are you contracted to Invicta/ Cage Warriors or do you take each fight as it comes on a single fight contract?
Joanne: I'm contracted to Invicta, but this is yet another reason why Invicta is so great they agreed to me fighting on Cage Warriors which is a great opportunity as its one of the top European shows. They know I want to stay active but I will be representing Invicta and I shall be back in the states for Invicta 6.

Ben: Is the fight with Bec Hyatt a fight which you would still like, as it was due to happen at Invicta 4 before she was moved up to the main event?
Joanne: I'm not seeing past Saturday right now. But I know my future fights are in the good hands of Janet the matchmaker at Invicta and my dangerous bastards fight management.

There's been a couple names mentioned to me for the next Invicta, none of which have been Bec's though.

Ben: We have noticed on twitter that you have built up a rapport with Stitch, He said you were an awesome fighter and he was highly complimentary of you. That has to mean a lot, coming from a guy who has wrapped the hands of the best fighters in the world and what's your opinion of Stitch?
Joanne: You know I wish he was my uncle, he's one of those family members that you'd look up to and never want to leave their company. When he wrapped my hands at Invicta 3 he told me about a hundred stories the time passed so quick ha it was awesome. He's a true gentlemen and to hear/read the words he spoke of me was cool. It will be cool seeing him at the next Invicta.

Ben: If the UFC called you tomorrow would you go up to 135lbs to fight in the UFC?
Joanne: No because I've made arrangements for this weekend lol. In all seriousness the only way i'll be going to the UFC is if its in the right circumstances ie not 20 lbs heavier than my weight. What's for you won't go by you. I'd definitely consider 125lbs though.

Ben: This weekend you will be fighting Sally krumdiack at cage warriors 53, what do you think of your opponent and despite her recent 2-4 record in her last 6 fights do you expect a tough test?
Joanne: Hell yea, this girl is certainly not coming for the Scottish weather she will be coming here dangerous and wanting the win just as much as me.....but I will be ready. She's been around a long time and fought some excellent girls, her styles different to any the other girls I've faced so far. I expect a good fight.

Ben: Being a feared striker do you think your opponent will look to take you down at the earliest opportunity?
Joanne: I think my opponent is confident in her stand up and also being well rounded and it being an MMA fight I will expect it to go to the ground like I always do. In my first five fights any time fights have hit the ground it's been me that's took it there.

Ben: It seemed like Cage Warriors struggled to find you an opponent for this fight, does that give you confidence as by the sounds of it not many people want to get into the cage with you.
Joanne: They did struggle and its been like that from day one, I don't take it as confidence I take it and work with it.

Ben: Your partner James Doolan is also fighting on the card, is this something that has happened before and will you find it strange to be on the same fight card with him?
Joanne: This is a great experience for myself and James. We have both worked even harder this fight camp, pushing each other and sharing thoughts that we probably never got the chance to do before....not to mention its so much easier cooking for the both of us on diets. This is the first and probably last time, its something we can always look back on.

Ben: You will be fighting in Glasgow for the third time in your career the previous two time you have stopped your opponent, will you be looking to do the same again and how do you think you have the best chance of doing this?
Joanne: I've gone over the fight so many ways, I love this about the fighting sport you just never know what's going to happen all I can do is have the best fight camp to date and then be ready for the stoppage/ sub or even decision by performing on Saturday. I am always looking to finish fights though so Saturday won't be any different.

Ben: How did you find the transition from kick boxing to MMA and how did it originally happen?
Joanne: I'm from a Muay Thai background and was training at the griphouse gym that is also home to the dinky ninjas so I just got into it cause I wanted to try a different discipline and loved it.

Ben: Have you finished with kick boxing or do you still intend on doing both?
Joanne: I do intend to have at least one Muay Thai fight a year, but to be honest I don't really know where Thai boxing stands in my views anymore, I set out to fight as many of the best girls as possible not as many 'world champions ' who aren't even the best fighters in their own country. To be honest the politics and at times unprofessionalism in Muay Thai sickened me a bit.

Ben: Finally for people who have not seen Joanne Calderwood fight before can you tell them what they can expect to see on Saturday night.
Joanne: Funky hair cut....the look of someone that should be in secondary school and would be an easy picking for a bully Haha....but inside there is a badmofo and she will be ready for war.

Ben: Would you like to say thanks to anyone?
Joanne: Thanks for the interview! Thanks to my sponsors sandee Thailand, devils own, stark, funky gums, physio effect, SAS nutrition and thanks to everyone at the Griphouse gym and higher level gym!

Thank you for your time and for answering all of the questions for Kingdom MMA.

No comments:

Post a Comment