phone: +420 776 223 443
e-mail: support@londoncreative.co.uk

Tuesday 3 December 2013

Interview: Ulysses Gomez 'I'll Put Him Away in the 3rd"


Interview: Ulysses Gomez 'I'll Put Him Away in the 3rd"
by Chris Houten - @mrhouts


This Saturday Uysses Gomez meets Cage Warriors inaugural Flyweight champion Neil Seery in on of the biggest flyweight fights this country has ever seen.

A former Tachi Palace Fights Champion at both Flyweight and Bantamweight Gomez is an accomplished grappler having finished 7 of his 9 victories by submission.

Kingdom MMA's Chris Houten caught up with Gomez shortly after he arrived in Newcastle, to discuss why he signed with Cage Warriors, Neil Seery, and possibly returning to the UFC.

Houten: On December 7th you will fight Neil Seery for the Cage Warriors Flyweight title, when do you fly over for the fight?
Gomez: Just landed a few hours ago. Feeling pretty good.

There are some excellent promotions back home putting on some great fights, why did you decide to fight for Cage Warriors in the UK?
They have a great show with a huge fan base that allows me to travel the world. Was a fairly easy choice for me.

Your last fight was in the UK against Phil Harris, how did cutting weight in the UK compare to cutting it back home in the states, and do you plan do to anything differently this time now you have experienced a cut abroad?
Cutting weight always sucks but it's part of the game.

How much did you know about Neil Seery before accepting this fight?
He's scrappy, [he] throws hard and [is] decent off his back. Oh and he's Irish too.

How much do you know about Neil Seery now you are fighting him on December 7th? Have you studied much footage on Seery?
I've seen a few of his fights but I don't study my opponents too much, I focus on my gameplan instead of what they try plan on doing.

How has the camp gone for this fight and when did you start training specifically for this fight?
Camp went well. Some days I was the hammer some days I was the nail.

Have you done anything specifically to prepare for this fight?
[It's] Just another fight - hard sparring and hard work man.

What do you think of Neil Seerys submission game?
It's decent but not on my level.

How would you say your striking matches up to Seery?
I think he throws hard but I feel that I'm more technical on my feet.

Based on your previous experience do you feel you’re more equipped for a 5 round fight?
I'm confident going 5 rounds, I put the work in.

How do you envision the fight going on Saturday, and how do you see yourself winning?
In the 3rd round. Gonna be a tough fight but I'll put him away.

Win or lose do you plan to continue fighting for Cage Warriors?
Yeah man [they are] threat me well.

Do you see winning the Cage Warrior title as a stepping-stone to getting back to the UFC or for now are you taking it one fight at a time?
I have to win first.

How will winning the Cage Warriors title compare to the 2 TPF titles you have won?
It's my road back to the top.

Finally, is there anyone you would like to thank for help getting you prepared for this fight?
All my coaches and team mates at Cobra Kai Jiu Mitsubishi and gil Martinez.

No comments:

Post a Comment