phone: +420 776 223 443
e-mail: support@londoncreative.co.uk

Thursday 19 December 2013

Has Antonio Silva Put His "BigFoot" In It This Time?

Does Silva's failed drug test take anything away from his battle with Mark Hunt?

by Tommy Strong @strong_tea


Just over a week ago in the early hours of Sunday morning, I found myself climbing off my comfy sofa and standing to applaud both fighters in awe of one of the finest fights I've had the privilege of watching! Antonio Silva and Mark Hunt gave everything they had in their main event battle in what surely will go down as one of the best fights of the year!

Though, a week later it feels as something has been taken away from that fight. Having heard Antonio Silva failed his post fight drugs test for elevated levels of TRT. Just those three letters are driving fans away from a sport we all love and admire.

This isn't the first time Silva has failed a drugs test. The first was back in 2008 having won the EliteXC heavyweight championship by beating Justin Eilers. He later tested positive for using a banned substance Boldenone where he received a $2,500 fine and a year ban from the sport.

The UFC have notable fighters who have a TRT exemption the likes of Chael Sonnen, Vitor Belfort, Dan Henderson, Forrest Griffin and Frank Mir to name a few. Before this weeks news of Silva failing his post fight drugs test for elevated levels of TRT, I wasn't even aware Silva had an exemption. Prompting me to think who else is on this without us knowing?

Whether you believe its a performance enhancer or not, something has to be done to make it an even playing field! Fighters are always looking to get that edge, but it shouldn't come at the safety of the fighters?
But thats for another debate.

Will this take anything away from the fight? If Im honest with himself I don't think it will. Silly as it probably sounds. If the fight had title implications then maybe it would've bothered me more. I'm not condoning the use of PEDS or TRT as I'm the first to speak out about any form of use. I just feel though for some reason, when I think of this fight the TRT isn't stuck in my head.

My honest feeling about this is too many fighters are trying to gain an advantage using TRT when 'maybe' they don't need it!

Antonio Silva has pleaded his innocence today, claiming on Facebook:

"I'm cool because I know that the mistake was not made by me, he wrote. I never tried doing anything wrong for my fight."
Not only has Silva forgone his $50k fight of the night bonus he earn't for the fight, he will see himself sitting on the sidelines for 9 months before he's granted his license back.

Maybe the only winner from all this is Mark Hunt who not only collects $50,000 for fight of the night bonus, but also picks up Antonio Silva's $50,000 in the process!

Well done Mark!!

No comments:

Post a Comment