phone: +420 776 223 443
e-mail: support@londoncreative.co.uk

Monday 9 December 2013

Interview: Spencer Hewitt on Paul Marin "His Weakness is Me"

Interview: Spencer Hewitt on Paul Marin "His Weakness is Me"
by Chris Houten - @mrhouts


On Saturday Spencer Hewitt will meet Paul Marin at Cage Warriors 61 in a dark horse contender for fight of the night.

Originally scheduled for Iraq, the former UCMMA bantamweight champion will now meet Romanian, Marin in Jordan due to logistic issues which cause Cage Warriors to move the card.

Earlier this week we caught up with Hewitt to discuss his preparations for the fight, and what we can expect from his bout with Marin.

Houten: You were originally meant to be fighting Paul Marin in Baghdad in December but now the event has been moved to Jordan; what were your initial thoughts when you were offered a fight in Iraq?
Hewitt: My reaction was very excited, believing it was a great opportunity to go into unknown territory but a bit  more concerned having to tell the wife due to the location!           

Houten: Cage warriors have now moved your fight from Iraq to Jordan sighting logistical issues, have cage warriors elaborated any further what those logistical issues were?
Hewitt: No, but I will fight wherever they want me to as I know they are the best show in Europe and look after all their fighters.                                                                                                                                      
Houten: How did your friends and family react when you told them you would initially be fighting in Iraq? And were they relieved when the location was changed?
Hewitt: My wife was not happy; she is relieved now.

Houten: Cage warriors are hoping to stage a card in Iraq in 2014,  would you like to be on that card?
Hewitt: Yes it be amazing, I just want to fight all over the world.

Houten: I feel your fight with Marin is a dark horse for fight of the night, how excited are you to be fighting Marin, and would you agree this fight has fight of the night written all over it?
Hewitt: Yes for sure, I'm looking for fight of the night, KO of the night or sub of the night . We will see which one.

Houten: One would say your fight with Marin was announced on pretty late notice, had Cage Warriors given you prior indication that you should be ready to fight in December, or are you essentially going into this fight on the back of a 3 week camp?
Hewitt: I knew I was fighting December, I was just waiting for Cage Warriors to release the details publicly.  I've had good camp and I'm very focused.
Houten: Your fight against Marin will be the first time in your career you have fought outside of the UK, will you approach your weight cut differently for this fight?
Hewitt: I always make weight, I will fly out slightly lighter than usual.

Houten: Will any of your friends and family be making the trip to watch fight in Jordan or just your team?
Hewitt: Just my brother, my pad man.

Houten: How do you see the fight with Marin playing out, do you see the bout mainly being a striking affair or are you looking to get the bout to the ground?
Hewitt: I'm going finish him within 3 rounds.  I think a mixed fight - some stand up and ground.

Houten: What would you say are Marin's strengths and weaknesses?
Hewitt: He's athletic and is a Roman Greco wrestler with striking.  His weakness is me.

Houten: Is there anyone you would like to thank for helping you prepare for this fight?
Hewitt: Most definitely and in no particular order, elite mma agency , Lee Perman of Bureaulogic, my Sponsor, Cage Warriors, mma terror squad, all the team, Jez Lord our Thai boxing  coach, Ross Hewitt, boxing coach, Peter the wrestling coach, Marc Walder BJJ coach, Origin mma academy, the house of mma terror squad, Alan Whitton  - fighters mind, and last but not least my beautiful wife, Beelia Hewitt who is always there supporting me on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment