phone: +420 776 223 443
e-mail: support@londoncreative.co.uk

Wednesday 11 December 2013

Interview: Jim Wallhead "I'm Very Confident I Can Bring Home the Victory"



Interview: Jim Wallhead "I'm Very Confident I Can Bring Home the Victory"
by Chris Houten - @mrhouts  


On Saturday Jim Wallhead will step into the cage at Bamma 14 at the LG Arena in Birmingham to take on French fighter Florent Betorangal. 

Looking for redemption for his September loss against Eddie Ellis for the Bamma Welterweight Title, Wallhead has been on a mission to find his "inner aggression again".  We spoke to Wallhead about his will to win, fighting for Bamma, and what we can expect out of his fight against Betorangal.

Houten: How pleased were you to hear Bamma are planning 6 events next year, surely this give you the opportunity to fight more than ever in 2014?
Wallhead: Very pleased, I want to be as active as possible in the next few years because this isn't the longest career going so really wanna get busy.
 
There is some great fights on the Bamma 14 card, would you say this is the best Bamma card to date?
I would have to say so, it's absolutely stacked and the undercard is awesome as well, so much talent it's crazy; it's great to part of it.
I know that you feel you won your last fight against Eddie Ellis, as do a lot of fans; how long did it take for you to get over that loss?
Yeah, it took a while but I've come out of it better - lessons have been learnt. It was my fault I lost, should of done more but life is all about learning and growing and I think I have done that.
 
In your fight against Ellis, did you feel any extra pressure fighting for the title, and do you feel this made you a little hesitant?
I created my own massive pressure, it was stupid. You want something so bad [but] you can put blocks in your own head. I was so worried about making mistakes I ended up being hesitant. Looking back it horrifies me, the state I was in mentally 
 
Is Ellis the fight you would like next with a win on Saturday?
I'm not thinking passed Betorangel but obviously feel like I have unfinished business with Ellis and if Bamma want to give me another shot I won't fuck up again
Your fighting Florent Betorangal on Saturday, how are you feeling ahead of the fight, and how has your training camp been? 
I'm feeling very good to be honest ,very relaxed and quite excited. [My] camps going surprisingly well and my body feels tip top for once.
 
Have you worked on anything specifically for this fight, and have you brought in anyone to help get you prepared? 
Just being a better well rounded fighter. I was to one dimensional against Eddie so I'm just trying to evolve a bit 
 
You said in an interview recently that you needed to find your inner aggression again, does this mean you have made changes to how you approach MMA, and if does this involve going back to your judo roots at all? 
Not gone back to judo roots as such but certainly trying to widen my game. I'm just trying to not overthink the whole situation and have a fight like back in the day. I just used to enjoy fighting then you add pressures
 
Some of the fans tuning in on Saturday won't be familiar with Betorangal. What are his strengths and weakness and what do you expect from him on Saturday night?
He is durable guy with strong striking and jiu jitsu. He has beaten a UFC vet [Carlos Eduardo Rocha] so he is a good opponent. It should be an entertaining fight.
 
I think your fight with Betorangal could play out like a game of chess, where you have great wrestling and Betorangal has some great BJJ to counter. Do you think the majority of this fight will play out on the ground?
When it goes to the ground I totally agree with you, I think standing as well. I need to be close, he needs to be long, so in all ranges it's a good technical aspect to the fight.
 
How do you see yourself winning the fight on Saturday?
I'm not sure how but I'm very confident I can bring home the victory,  it could be anywhere as this fight will go all ranges, and I know on my day I'm strong all round.
Final Jim, what has been your highlight of 2013 and what goals have you set for 2014??
Not been a great year lol, the Veach win was good but broke my hand so really in 2014 I just want to get a win streak going again and take it from there.

Bamma 14 takes place on the 14th of December from The LG Arena, Birmingham. Tickets are available from £25 through The Ticket Factory.

No comments:

Post a Comment