phone: +420 776 223 443
e-mail: support@londoncreative.co.uk

Wednesday 10 July 2013

Joanne Calderwood "My game plan is to win. Thats it." ahead of fighting at Invicta 6

Kingdom MMA catch up with Joanne Calderwood before her Invicta 6 fight

by Ben Heather @benheather


Today Kingdom MMA had the pleasure of catching up again with one of the UK's rising stars Joanne Calderwood. Calderwood is now 6-0 in her MMA career including two wins for Invicta Fighting Championships. On Saturday night she returns to the cage to fight at Invicta 6 in Kansas City, USA knowing that a big win could put her right in the mix for a title shot.

Ben: So last time we spoke to you, you had just defeated Sally Krumdiak. What have you been up to since that fight at Cage Warriors 53?
Calderwood: Do you need to ask ;)  I'm sure the the cage in the gym sees more daylight than me.  I came out that fight with no injuries so was back in the gym the next day.  I'm not one of those fighters who is only in the gym when they have a fight coming up. I got back on a off season strength programme and back on trying to improve every area of my game working with my coaches.

Ben: I believe you also competed and won a grappling competition just after your last fight, have you taken part in any more recently?
Calderwood: Yeah I jump in where I can... competing is important to me regardless of whether its a MMA fight, grappling match, thai fight or crazy golf. The week after my fight I went down to Manchester to attend a wedding and managed  to train with Rosi Sexton and compete in the Manchester grab and pull BJJ competition winning my divisions at blue belt which was cool as there was some talented girls in there.  I was at the Scottish nationals a few weeks back also but there was no girls in my bracket. I'll compete every week if I could.

Ben: You have had a number of changes of opponents for this fight, has that altered your training regime at all?
Calderwood: Not really I never focus on my opponent...in fact I never really think of them that much till I'm in there. I spend all my time concentrating on me getting better and stuff i can control. My team always study my opponents and pick up things that I probably couldn't and they tailor things into my fight camp..they've got my back.

Ben: Were you disappointed that Gadelha got promoted and is now fighting in the title eliminator fight and not you?
Calderwood: I'm just glad to be fighting more than anything. My fight will be the best on the night whoever it's against. I really believe I'm going to have to fight all these girls at some point to get where I'm going.

Ben: Do you feel you are close to being given that opportunity of a number one contender fight?
Calderwood: I've fought on the Invicta show twice now and performed well, I was the fist girl to get a KO on the show, I've signed for another 6 fights there. There is a lot of talent in my division I'll keep winning until I get my shot. Whether it's after this fight or a few fights down the line.

Ben: Are you pleased to be back fighting for Invicta again and working towards getting that title shot?
Calderwood: Yeah I'm so excited, I love it over here. The Invicta team are great and I always look forward to seeing them, they treat me really well and make me feel like a professional athlete. They are unlike any other promotion I've ever been involved with.

Ben: You are now fighting Norma Rueda Center, what do you know about her and do you think this is a good match up for you?
Calderwood: Like i said I'm happy to be fighting again, the world doesn't want to see me without a fight, it would get ugly....I'd be pulling my hair out! Norma is from Jacksons MMA which is pretty much all you need to know about her. Those guys are not regarded as one of the best gyms in the game for nothing. I expect her to come in with a solid game plan and try and see it out.

Ben: What day do you travel to the US ahead of the fight and who is going along from the team to support you?
Calderwood: I left this morning and I'm here now (Tuesday) we had 10 hours in the air and a few casualties in the airport due to delayed flight and me running skipping queues to make my connection flight. James Doolan is here with me, we work well together and I'm very confident with him in my corner.

Ben: Do you have any concerns about cutting weight with the travelling for this fight? After all last time the arena was in your home town.
Calderwood: It is easier being home to do a weight cut, but when you go away there is always a lot of time to waste and always adds to the journey. No two weight cuts are the same the only thing that's consistent with cutting weight is its all mental. I've done it a few times before so it will be cool.

Ben: What's the game plan or Saturday night and how do you expect the fight to go?
Calderwood: My game plan is to win. That's it.

Many Thanks to Joanne for taking the time out from her schedule to talk to Kingdom MMA and we wish her all the best for her fight on Saturday night.

For anybody who wants the opportunity to meet Joanne Calderwood, she will be at the UK MMA Expo the weekend of July 20th -21st in Manchester. Tickets can be purchased from http://www.ukmmaexpo.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment