phone: +420 776 223 443
e-mail: support@londoncreative.co.uk

Thursday 4 July 2013

Brett Bassett "I Feel I'm Better Than Denniston in All Areas"


Brett Bassett "I Feel I'm Better Than Denniston in All Areas"
by Chris Houten - @kingdomMMAChris

Photo: Dolly Clew/Cage Warriors

On Saturday night at The HMV Forum in London, 27 year old Brett Bassett (8-3) will meet UK Veteran Denniston Sutherland on the main card of Cage Warriors 56, in arguably the biggest fight of his career.

Bassett, who is 3-1 in has last 4 fights including a 38 second KO over Mike Ling has never been the distance, finishing all of his 8 victories, by submission on TKO.

On Wedensday, I caught up with Bassett to talk about his upcoming bout with Sutherland.

Houten: For those that don't really know Brett Bassett or might be checking out Cage Warriors for the first time on Saturday, can you tell us a little about yourself, and what the people can expect? 
Bassett: I'm 27, I'm from SE London and fight out of London Valhalla, Valhalla is my main team, it's just a small group of tough guys, we get together and get work done, iam associated with other gyms though, I go to team VN at dfc for some jui jitsu with valmyr neto and I go to UK warriors for my Thai boxing with lee Whittington aka the war chief. I consider myself an all rounder, I think my strength comes in my ability to put everything together, I think that is what makes a true mix martial artist.

On Saturday you fight vet Denniston Sutherland, is this the biggest fight of your career to date, and how have you coped with the additional pressure of fighting such a big name on the UK scene?
Denniston is definitely my biggest fight so far, he's very experienced, very tough and has heart. I don't really feel more pressure with big names, it makes me more excited, when offered this fight, straight away it was yes let's do it, I don't want to fight bums, all the big names in the UK I'm going for their scalp.

You have fought for UCMMA in the past, has the fact that Sutherland is UCMMA’s current Middleweight champion given you extra motivation for your fight on Saturday?
It definitely adds a little extra to it, it's great to take out a big name but to take out a champ as well is even better.

How has your training camp been for this fight, have you focused on any areas which you think will hold the key to victory against Sutherland?
It's been very good, I started it not in the best condition due to a long injury lay off, I pretty much went from lay off to camp, but it's been good, we've seen the holes in Dennistons game and worked on how to capitalise on them, I've also worked hard on my own strengths so I can push my own game.

You have a varied game, with wins by submission and TKO. What areas do you feel you are better than Sutherland?
Honestly I feel I'm better in all areas. Denniston has some good boxing and a good on top game, he's a very smart fighter, he knows how to pace himself and drag you into later rounds and wear you down, but I'm better everywhere, my stand ups sharper, my wrestlings better and my submissions are better, I pose a threat to him wherever the fight is.

Win or lose you have never been the distance, have you put much thought into going the distance in training or do you see yourself stopping the fight early?
I always train with the mindset that this is gonna be a tough 3 rounder, and someone like Denniston has the ability to make that happen, but I will always try for the finish any chance I get.
How do you see yourself winning the fight on Saturday?
I try not to predict fights, because anything can happen, but I believe I can knock him out or sub him, whatever he gives me first, he already has he's next fight lined up for a title defense in August, I hope they remembered that Safe MMA give knockout suspensions.

With Jessie Taylor signing with WSOF recently, does a win over a name like Sutherland put you in the shop window for the middleweight title fight, or do you feel you would need a few more wins?
I don't think I'd go straight in for a title shot, but id be in the mix of the contenders, maybe for an eliminator or If CW decided for another tournament for it, but either way the belt is what I want and what I'm aiming for.

Finally Brett, and we appreciate your time. Is their any one you would like to thank?
Id like to thank all my team and coaches at Valhalla, team VN and uk warriors, and ABA coach tony Pettitt whos been on board helping me with my boxing, thanks to cage warriors for giving me a chance on such a great show and a special thank you to my beautiful girlfriend and my son, no matter how engrossed I become in this sport, my family are what matter most to me and will always come first.

No comments:

Post a Comment