phone: +420 776 223 443
e-mail: support@londoncreative.co.uk

Thursday 16 May 2013

Interview: Chris Camozzi: “I’m excited to get a top 10 opponent. Its something I have been asking for."


Kingdom MMA talks to Chris Camozzi ahead of UFC on FX 8
By Chris Houten - @kingdomMMAChris 


On the 3rd of May less, than 3 weeks away from UFC on FX8 from the Arena Jaragua in Jaragua do Sul, Santa Catarina, Brazil, The UFC announced that Costa Philippou who was taking on Jacare Souza in the co-main event was injured and had been pulled from the card – Step up, step up Chris Camozzi :

“I was training at the gym and after practice I walked off the mat and saw I had a ton of missed calls from my management, Ingrained Media. Jason told me Joe Silva called and asked if I would be willing to step in.”

Stepping up is something Camozzi has become accustomed to in recent week as the bout with Souza will be Camozzi’s third schedule opponent in just under a month: first Ferreira, then Natal, and now top 10 ranked Middleweight Souza, but Camozzi’s not complaining:

I’m very excited to get a top ten opponent. Its something I have been asking for. I’m young and making my way up the ranks. I feel like I’m ready for that next step.” Camozzi said.

6-2 in the UFC and currently riding a 4 fight win streak going in the bout on Saturday, former TUF contestant Camozzi has put together some impressive wins of late however Souza who will be fighting in his native Brazil, is undoubtedly the biggest fight in Camozzi’s 24 fight career, but a fight which Camozzi is ready for:

Every UFC fight is the biggest of my career. Im honored to fight the BJJ legend in his country.”

“My Training camp has been great. We have been working more on me, rather than what my opponent will do. There is always work to be done when it comes to getting better as a fighter.”

A former Strikeforce middleweight champion and 5 time World Ju-Jitsu Champion, Jacare is possibly the best ju-jitsu fighter to ever enter the octagon, however when asked about his game plan on Saturday, Camozzi was quick to mention, his evolving striking:

“I think his striking game is underrated. He has good hands and he is a great athlete. Its been a while since he fought so Im expecting his hands to have improved a lot.” Chris Said.

“[But] my training camp has been great. We have been working more on me, rather than what my opponent will do. There is always work to be done when it comes to getting better as a fighter.”

You can catch Chris Camozzi take on Jacre Souza in the co-main event at UFC on FX 8 on Saturday night live on ESPN in the UK

No comments:

Post a Comment