phone: +420 776 223 443
e-mail: support@londoncreative.co.uk

Monday 6 May 2013

Collin Reuter talks with Kingdom MMA ahead of his fight with Jack Mason "I'm ready to win this fight no matter where it goes"

Kingdom MMA exclusive interview with Collin Reuter ahead of his CWFN8 Main Event against Jack Mason

by Chris Houten @KingdomMMAChris


Today Kingdom MMA had chance to catch up with Collin Reuter ahead of his main event fight versus Jack Mason on this weekends Cage Warriors Fight Night 8 which takes place in Al Fujairah in the United Arab Emirates.

Chris: Hi Collin, thanks for taking time out to chat with us. For all the fans out here in the UK who will not have seen Collin Reuter fight before, can you tell us a little bit about yourself and what we can expect on Saturday night?
Reuter: Well, I'm 22 years old, born and raised in the frigid arctic wasteland of Fairbanks, Alaska. My father made a living hunting whales on the coast in the summer, and was a champion dogsled racer in the winters. When I was 8 years old, papa was taking me for a ride on the dogsled, when I fell off without being noticed. I waited for 2 days in the cold to be rescued, but no one came. 

I was taken in by a family of polar bears and accepted as one of their own. My new foster family taught me many valuable survival skills, how to track food, find shelter, shit in the woods, and throw the bear paw overhand right. 

 When I was 17 years old I decided it was time to begin my adult life, so I left my foster family in search of warmer weather. I walked for months, until I stumbled into a warehouse full of sweaty midgets. "Bro" they said "wanna roll bro". The rest is history.

 As for what to expect Saturday night, you can expect to be amazed that there are people even more pale white than you Brits.

Chris: A lot of the fans out there will know you as “the KO guy” following your devastating knock out of Gerald Fike, but of your 9 pro wins 5 are by submission. Where are you most comfortable, standing or on the ground?
Reuter: I don't know I'm not really comfortable anywhere. I think the fact that I'm scared shitless every time is what makes me an exciting fighter.

Chris: Am I right in saying you have spent some time training over at Team Alpha Male?
Reuter: I spent late 08 through part of 09 training with team alpha male. I made some great friends down there and they really evolved my game. Those are some great guys and I had some of the best times of my life with them.

Chris: On Saturday The 11th of May you will be fighting the UK’s Jack Mason as a late replacement for David Bielkheden, can you recall what it was like when you got the call from Cage Warriors offering you the main event in UAE?
Reuter: It's amazing to be able to travel and do what I love on such a big stage. I was beyond stoked to get the call for this fight. I'm hoping to go out there and get people's attention and hopefully make some fans.

Chris: Its fair to say Cage Warriors Fight Night 8 will be the biggest fight of your career to date, how excited are you going into this fight and do you feel any added pressure being featured in the main event?
Reuter: There's always pressure in every fight I have and I'm always scared to death, but again that fear is what fuels my fire and drives me to finish fights before the other guy gets a chance to put a beating on me.

Chris: How much do you know about Jack Mason, have you had chance to study any footage on him?
Reuter: I've done a little research but I don't like to study the guys I fight too much. I maybe watch a couple fights just to get a feel for what he does. He likes to control guys and he's pretty good at it. Ill be looking to put some hands on him for sure.

Chris: Jack Mason has a great ground game, from what you have seen, how confident are you, you can avoid any trouble on the ground, and how do you feel your ground skills compare?
Reuter: I've got a great ground game and I think I'm going to have to prove that to pull off this win. I'm ready to win this fight no matter where it goes.

Chris: Do you have a game plan you will look to implement going in the fight with Mason?
Reuter: I don't really get to focused on making a gameplan. I'm an instinctual fighter and I'll finish this fight where ever I get that first opportunity.

Chris: How do you see the fight playing out with Mason on Saturday?
Reuter: We'll have to see come Saturday. Hopefully short and sweet.

Chris: CWFN 8 will mark your first time fighting outside of The US. How will this factor in your weight cut?
Reuter: As you said it is the first time fighting outside of the US. It's also the first time fighting out of Alaska. So your guess is as good as mine my friend. Hopefully I won't be in the sauna curled up in the featle position, sucking sweat out my towel while crying like a little girl.

Chris: It’s a bit of a journey to say the least from Alaska to UAE, when will you be flying out?
Reuter: I leave Tuesday at 1 am and ill make it to Dubai Wednesday around midnight... So it's about a 36 hour trip with the time zone change. I've done what I can to prepare for the jet lag, so it is what it is.

Chris: Other than Mason, there are some great names under the Cage Warriors banner at Welterweight - Brian Foster, Che Mills,  David Bielkheden &Cathal Pendred just to name a few. After your fight with Mason would you like to stick around in the promotion to fight some of these name guys?
Reuter: I'd love to fight for cage warriors on a regular basis. They're one of the best promotions in the sport and I've always wanted to go to Ireland. I plan on putting on a great showing and hopefully they will have me back.

Chris: Finally Collin, is there any one you would like to thank?
Reuter: My team in Fairbanks, frostbite vale tudo. Also my friends and family. My local sponsors BG flooring and Edstrom construction. If anyone is interested in sponsoring me please get a hold of me! It's not easy being a single dad and a full time fighter. Follow me on twitter @collinreuter

Many Thanks to Collin for answering the questions for Kingdom MMA and we all wish you a safe trip ahead of your fight on Saturday night at Cage Warriors Fight Night 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment