phone: +420 776 223 443
e-mail: support@londoncreative.co.uk

Wednesday 9 April 2014

Kingdom MMA speak to Martin "Mr Pink" McDonough ahead of Cage Warriors return

Martin McDonough talks to Kingdom MMA ahead of Cage Warriors 67

by Alex Dillon @_AlexDillon_

Copyright: Dolly Clew | Cage Warriors

On Wednesday evening Kingdom MMA caught up with Mr Pink ahead of his fight this weekend where he is set to face Shaj Haque at Cage Warriors 67 as Cage Warriors returns to Wales. Cage Warriors 67 is headlined by the bantamweight title clash between the current champ Brett Johns and the challenger James Brum.

Alex: Its been almost a year since your last fight, how excited are you to be finally back in action on Saturday night?
McDonough: I couldn't explain it to you, it's been so long, I'm looking forward to taking that first punch that wakes you up and you realise your in a fight! I'm looking forward to hitting someone as well, that's what it's all about! Maybe you can tell I'm a little excited haha.

Alex: You had to pull out of the Cage Warriors Bantamweight tournament through injury and in that time you’ve decided to drop down to flyweight for your next fight, what’s the reason behind this?
McDonough: Bantamweight wasn't far off my walking about weight. I wouldn't have to diet, go on sweat runs or cut weight in general. A few days not eating chocolate and half hour in the sauna and I was on or under weight. It made sense to drop to 125, now I have the chance to be the bigger guy, taller guy or stronger guy, it's not guaranteed but I was always the smaller fighter at bantamweight.

Alex: Is dropping to 125 the quickest way to a title shot, with the rise of the likes of Ronnie Mann and Cory Tait at 135?
McDonough: No not really, there is nothing saying I will get a title shot soon. I have to pay the game like everyone else. I have to win and perform well, like I said, I was too small for bantamweight, I wasn't struggling but I was always the smaller guy. I'm cutting as I'm doing this interview and I'm not feeling bad, this should have been my fighting weight a long time ago. I was just lazy.

Alex: We are 3 days away from the Cage Warriors 67 weigh-ins, what is you weight looking now?
McDonough: I woke up this morning 132.4 after a decent meal last night and still taking water on. I feel good, I'm still hitting pads with power and I'm still running 3 miles at a decent pace.

Alex: So your opponent Shaj Haque, what do you know about him? Have you studied him at all in the lead up to the fight?
McDonough: I don't spend too much time doing that, I've seen him before, he has fought my team mate Kris Edwards. What I've seen of him, he likes to work the Cage a lot, go for takedowns. He has his game plan, I have mine.

Alex: What would you say are Haque’s strengths and weaknesses?
McDonough: I don't know really, I honestly haven't paid that much attention to him. No disrespect to him, that's just not me. I know my strengths that's all that matters.

Alex: You have taken your last 5 wins by submission, would your biggest advantage in this bout is on the ground?
McDonough: No not at all, I can strike, I prefer to stand and strike it out! It's a fight at the end of the day, we are in there to hit each other, I'd like to work my boxing in this fight. Ex World Champion Gavin Rees is my boxing coach, he is always teaching me new things. I want to work them but if we hit the floor, and I can take your arm home with me or choke you.. I will.

Alex: All of Haque’s professional victories have gone the distance, how is your cardio the same as 125 as it was at 135?
McDonough: My cardio is better now haha. I have never been known for my cardio, ask all the boys at the gym. But for some reason, out of nowhere I have good cardio. I can go 15, 3 minute rounds sparing with 1 minute rest, with a fresh man every 3-4 rounds, and I'm not gassed.

Alex: Haque is ranked in the top 5 in the UK ranking with only Phil Harris ahead of him under the Cage Warriors roster, does a win over Haque put you in a good place for a title shot?
McDonough: Again with the title shot haha. If they offer me a title shot.. Fine. But until then, I'm just going to enjoy myself, fighting top boys, on the biggest show in Europe and get paid for it. As long as I perform well, the title shot will come.

Alex: How do you see yourself winning this bout on Saturday?
McDonough: Stoppage, I don't care how, as long as I stop him. The first fight I win by decision, I will be disappointed.

Alex: Finally Martin, if you could send a message to Haque ahead of your bout what would it be?
McDonough: I wouldn't send him a message, we won't speak before the fight.

Thank you for your time Martin, all the best from the guys at Kingdom MMA and we are all looking forward to seeing you make your return on Saturday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment