phone: +420 776 223 443
e-mail: support@londoncreative.co.uk

Monday 28 April 2014

Kingdom MMA chat to Matt Inman ahead of Cage Warriors 68

Matt Inman: Cage Warriors 68 Pre Fight Interview

by Alex Dillon @_AlexDillon_

Copyright: Dolly Clew | Cage Warriors

On Saturday night Cage Warriors returns to Liverpool for Cage Warriors 68. One of the stars who will be competing on the night is Matt Inman (13-5), Matt is currently on a four fight win streak and will be looking to improve his streak and his chances of pushing towards a shot at the title on Saturday night. Before his big fight Kingdom MMA caught up with Matt to talk about his fight.

Alex: Hi Matt, cheers for taking the time out to talk to us about your upcoming fight at Cage Warriors 68 in Liverpool. With less than a week until your fight with Mauro Chimento, how have your preparations been for this camp and how is your weight looking?
Inman: No Problem, thanks for the interview.

Preparations have gone really well, I feel very fit and strong, and I've effectively rehabbed a few little injuries I was carrying for the last few months, so I'll be going into the fight as injury free as you can hope to be after a long, hard fight camp.

My weight is fine, I've been making this same weight for the last six years or so now so I've really got the whole process nailed down. It's never easy and its definitely my least favourite part of the job but there are some really big cutters in my division (to be fair there are in every division) so its a necessary evil.

Alex: Are you excited about fighting in Liverpool given its close to Manchester?
Inman: Yes, I fought in the Echo when Cage Warriors were there last year, it's a cracking venue. It's also nice to be able to stay at home before the fight which is not very common for me as I'm normally on the road. It's just easier at home as you know where everything is, you can sleep in your own bed and you don't have to wander round obscure foreign cities looking for food to refuel on that's not going to batter your already delicate system post weight cut! Having said that I love fighting abroad and experiencing new places as well.

Alex: Does fighting so close to home create extra pressure, or does it make it more enjoyable, to fight in front for friends and family, as well as having that support from the crowd?
Inman: There's definitely that excitement factor and I'm really fortunate that I get some good support even though I'm not actually from Manchester. I've been blown away by the amount of people who have got tickets and are making the trip to show their support.

The pressure is always there because the Cage Warriors fights go out to so many people on the telly and the internet that everyone is going to see the fight regardless of how far away it is. I think at the end of the day when you're in there you know a lot of people are watching it just gives you that little bit of extra determination to bite down on your gummy and get the job done.

Alex: On May 3rd your facing Mauro Chimento, do you know much about him?
Inman: Yes, he's a Brazilian who has been competing for a long time and has a lot of experience. I always feel the more experienced a fighter is the more dangerous they are. It's totally different in that sense to my last fight against Wiebel who was a comparatively new guy riding a good streak but lacking some of that big fight experience.

Alex: I've found it difficult to find much footage on Chimento, is it fair to say you have had the same problem and how does preparing for a fight differ when you can't find that much on a guy?
Inman: A lot of his fights have been in Brazil so naturally footage is tricky to come by, I've watched his more recent fights, particularly his Cage Warriors appearances.

I don't think it does make a huge amount of difference to me, I like to watch a little bit of footage to get a sense of a fighter but I don't do a lot of in depth study. My coach Karl does a lot of work on that side, he has a really good eye for picking up little areas where we can exploit a weakness, or recognising a particular strength that a guy might have that we need to be wary of so I take a lot of my cues from the work he does.

Alex: What would you say his strengths and weaknesses are and where do you see your self having the advantage over Chimento?
Inman: To be fair I think he's not bad all round, obviously he has a really good grappling calibre but at the same time he's no mug on his feet. I won't divulge on what I feel his weaknesses are at this point but hopefully that will come out in the fight!

Alex: In the footage I did manage to find of Chimento I’ve noticed he can get a little wild with his striking, sometimes he drops his hands when he shoots in. Is this something you have picked up on in your preparations at all?
Inman: Yeah, wildness is a strange thing. It can work either way, when a guy has developed a style like that after a long time fighting its generally because it works for him. A good example would be the fight in Chechnya where my opponent had a really unorthodox, off-the-wall striking style that you wouldn't hope to teach anyone, but he caused me problems just because I wasn't used to it, it's hard to train for that kind of thing or get your sparring partners to replicate it, so there is very much the element of the unknown.

On the other hand though there's a reason why the best strikers all work from similar fundamentals, it's because they work, sometimes when a guy is just loading up on his shots and swinging for the fences you can pick them apart. Of course you can never really tell which will happen until you're in there though, fingers crossed it's the later!

If you're looking to catch a guy as they shoot your timing has to be bang on, so it's something I'm always looking to do but It's difficult to say if I'll have any success.

Alex: Do you think Chimento will want this fight to go to the ground, and have you trained more on your ground game and defensive wrestling than you would do normally in preparation for this fight?
Inman: I'm always working to improve my defensive wrestling because its no secret that that's one of the worst aspects of my game. I'm really fortunate to count some of the best MMA wrestlers in the UK as training partners now, Including Saul Rogers and Aaron Wilkinson, so I definitely feel that that aspect is improving quickly.

As to whether Chimento will look to take me down its difficult to say, maybe he'll fancy his chances on the feet. I have a lot of faith in my ground game though, and I feel I have really strong Jiu Jitsu for MMA, so I certainly won't be afraid to fight on the ground if that's where the fight ends up.

Alex: One could make the argument that on paper Chimento who is coming into the fight 2-3 in his last 5 is maybe a step back compared to your last few fights - Bahari, Sharaputdinov, Weibel, etc, would you agree?
Inman: I don't really feel that way at all, I think Chimento is just as dangerous as any of those guys and I think the fact that he is coming off mixed results will make him determined to get the win and steal some of the momentum I have built up. In my mind this is a real 50/50 fight and I'm expecting, and ready, for it to be really tough.

Alex: Do you feel after putting together a 4 fight win streak you should be in the mix with the likes of Roberts, Mason, Alloway, Wallhead etc.
Inman: I feel like I'm maybe half a step behind those guys at the minute, but I'm just taking things one fight at a time and seeing how far I can take things.

Alex: Am I right in saying you're studying towards a degree as well as coaching at the SBG gym? How do you balance these commitments when you have a fight coming up?
Inman: Yes, i am studying a fairly intensive post graduate law conversion course, called a GDL, and I work full time in SBG as a coach and personal trainer. I have my final exams starting not long after this fight so I have been balancing my time between training, revising and working. It makes for quite long days but I'm used to it now and I work a lot better when the pressure is on anyway.

Alex: Who would you like next with a win and do you think it should be for that no. 1 contender spot? A rematch with Jack Mason maybe?
Inman: I don't know really I'm just focusing on the fight in front of me. There's a lot of good guys in the division and I certainly need to win this and then beat one of the top guys before I'm looking at a title shot (easier said than done!).

I would like a Mason rematch as I feel I'd do better this time, even though stylistically it's not a good fight for me, but I can't see that happening and, outside of a title fight or a possible number one contender spot, objectively I don't think it makes great sense as a fight.

Alex: Finally, how do you see yourself beating Chimento on the 3rd?
Inman: I think I'll grind him down with good consistent pressure and stop him late in the fight.

Alex: Would you like to thank anyone ahead of your fight?
Inman: Thanks to my coaches Karl and Jon and all my training partners.

Thanks again for your time ahead of the fight and we are all looking forward to another exciting performance on Saturday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment