phone: +420 776 223 443
e-mail: support@londoncreative.co.uk

Monday 28 April 2014

Jimmy Wallhead talks to Kingdom MMA ahead of his Cage Warriors return

Jimmy Wallhead Cage Warriors 68 Pre Fight Interview

by Chris Houten @mrhouts

Picture by Mark Blundell

On Saturday night, Jimmy Wallhead will make his return to Cage Warriors and headline Cage Warriors 68. In the main event Jimmy will square off against the highly regarded Danny Roberts, who will be fighting in his home town. Before that Kingdom MMA caught up with Jimmy to find talk about that fight, his decision to leave BAMMA and much more.

Chris: I won't be the first to ask this and no doubt I won't be the last but what was it that made you leave BAMMA? It felt as if you were the poster boy of the promotion.
Wallhead: Well basically it came down to me wanting to be more active in my career and with Cage Warriors I will be. They are a great promotion with a stacked roster and regular shows.

Chris: Last time we talked, we discussed plans BAMMA had to put on more fights this year, and in turn give you more fights. When you were weighing up your options was the fact that Cage Warriors put on so many shows a year and can offer you several fights a year one of the major deciding factors?
Wallhead: yeah as above for sure.

Chris: Did you feel that BAMMA would struggle with the proposal of doing 6 cards this year, did they give you any indication that the proposal might not be possible?
Wallhead: I just felt a better career path laid with Cage Warriors for me at this point in my career.

Chris: How does it feel being back with Cage Warriors where it all started for you, does it feel like you are coming home?
Wallhead: It feels very special obviously and the promotion has evolved into something very big and special as I keep saying it felt like the right move.

Chris: Has joining Cage Warriors had any effect on you sponsorship wise with the thought that their product or logo won't be seen on channel 5 / 5 star?
Wallhead: No none at all

Chris: On May 3rd you're fighting a young, hungry up and comer in Danny Roberts, how would you say he compares to some of your recent opponents, and do you think the fact that he's at a point in his career where he's still trying to establish a name for himself makes him more dangerous than some of the guys you've fought recently?
Wallhead: 100% very dangerous opponent and it's gave me the kick up the arse I needed to step my training up and get that hunger going for myself.

Chris: There have been talks amongst fans in the lead up to this fight that you might be the underdog in this fight. What would you say to those fans who are installing Roberts as the favourite and are you embracing this underdog status you're being given?
Wallhead: I can understand people saying that I don't believe it though and I am very confident in my abilities.

Chris: In our last interview we discussed how you were 'looking for your inner aggression' and it kinda felt there was a period of time where you weren't as into your fight as you were say when you first started out. Has signing for Cage Warriors and being given a hungry, up and comer in Roberts helped you find your enjoyment for fighting and made you excited to fight again?
Wallhead: Absolutely more than I can explain.

Chris: How has your training camp for this fight been fight? Am I right in saying you have spent some time with London Shootfighters helping Hathaway prepare for his fight with Kim but also your fight with Roberts?
Wallhead: That's correct I originally went down to help John and to be honest I was very very impressed with the whole set up there and so I spent time there every week in this camp with Alexis and Paul and feel very well prepared for my fight.

Chris: How has working with London Shootfighters improved you as a fighter? What elements of your game have improved by being down there?
Wallhead: All areas from mental to fitness to my technical areas.

Chris: Going back to the inner aggression question, where do London Shootfighters fit in with this? Has being in London helped you find what you were looking for?
Wallhead: It's something I wish I had done 9 years ago.

Chris: You're fighting Roberts in his backyard of Liverpool. What's it like fighting on enemy territory so to speak? Is it something you notice or sense during the fight?
Wallhead: I've done it many times before, it is what it is.

Chris: Roberts is a good pretty well rounded fighter. Where would you say you have the advantage in this fight?
Wallhead: all I know is he hasn't fought or beaten anyone of my ability to date.

Chris: Roberts last few fights have been wars, are you preparing for a violent one?
Wallhead: Absolutely I expect nothing less to be honest.

Chris: Have Cage Warriors given you any indications that the winner of this fight gets a shot at Dalby?
Wallhead: no none at all

Chris: With a lot of the top Cage Warriors guys moving over to the UFC, are you seeing this contract you have as a stepping stone or opportunity for something bigger or is this something you're not really focused on at this stage of your career?
Wallhead: Right now all I'm focused on is Danny Roberts

Chris: If you could predict the outcome of the fight on Saturday, how do you see yourself winning?
Wallhead: No idea, I can finish a fight in more than one area.

Chris: We are now a week away from the fight, what's the plan for the next week?
Wallhead: Finally recover and cut the last bit of weight.

Chris: Finally is there any sponsors you would like to thank ahead of your fight next Saturday?
Wallhead: Gray Ridgeway at QAV
Booster Fight Gear
Positiv Energy Drink
Ian Cox at CSS
Steve Almighty Fightwear
Funky gums
Paul White massage
Blueberry nutrition
Forca Luta
Matt Walton at Spiked
4dmma
Wayne at Pain Fightwear

Thanks again for the time ahead of your fight and we can't wait to see you in action on Saturday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment