phone: +420 776 223 443
e-mail: support@londoncreative.co.uk

Wednesday 14 August 2013

Kingdom MMA speak to James Vicks before his UFC Fight Night 26 fight

UFC on Fox Sports 1's James Vick chats to Kingdom MMA about Ramsey Nijem, what it would be like to fight in the UK and more

by Chris Houten @mrhouts


Recently Kingdom MMA had the pleasure of catching up with UFC fighter James Vick who on Saturday night will open up the UFC Fight Night 26 event taking part in the first fight of the night live on Facebook. Vick who made his way to the UFC via The Ultimate Fighter Live as the fifth pick for Team Cruz. Since then Vick has gone off the radar but now he is most definitely back in the spot light.

Chris: It's been over a year since you were not medically cleared to face Vinc Pichel at The TUF 15 finale, how did you feel when you got the news you couldn't fight?
Vick: Well honestly after we both lost in the semi finals of the show I don't think either one of us, me or Vinc thought we were going to fight the next week on the finale. We both believed we were just going to get placed on a different card later down the road.

Chris: Did you ever feel like you might not make your debut or was there always the promise of a fight down the line?
Vick: Well immediately following TUF the UFC matchmaker Joe Silva promised me a fight. Then once I got injured he told me go ahead and get the surgery and then he would find me a fight once I was healthy again.

Chris: You face Ramsey Nijem on the debut UFC on FOX Sports card, why has it taken so long since the TUF finale to be handed your UFC debut?
Vick: I got injured during training and had to have surgery on my shoulder.

Chris: How has your preparation gone for the fight?
Vick: My preparation for this fight has gone great so far!   

Chris: Going into to the fight with Nijem you have a pretty big height and reach advantage, is the game plan to fight tall and keep Nijem from being able to close the distance?
Vick: Yes its no secret that my plan is to stand with him and try to keep him on the outside and land some big shots and possibly knock him out.

Chris: Nijem is known as a wrestler, with the reach advantage you have do you expect him to be keen to try and take you down?
Vick: Yes I definitely think his plan is to take me down. He'll probably start off trying to come in hard and fast with wild punches and then immediately go for the takedown just like he has done in all of his fights I've seen.

Chris: Do you feel any pressure going into the fight knowing the ufc could cut you with a loss?
Vick: I think every fighter feels some pressure going into these fights since they have been cutting people so frequently recently. But I'm not that worried about it because I plan on winning and then won't have to worry about it for awhile!

Chris: What's your keys to victory against Nijem and how do you see yourself winning the fight?
Vick: Well my keys to victory are to use my superior boxing skills to pick him apart or get back up to my feet should he take me down or work my jiu jitsu to catch him in a submission.

Chris: Finally do you have any interest in fighting outside of the US, maybe on a UK card?
Vick: I would love to fight outside of the US, I've never been outside of the country and it would be so exciting to travel the world some. The UK would be a great place to go fight and visit, since the TUF show I've had alot of really cool and supportive fans from the UK so it would be a honor to fight there!

Chris: Is there anyone you would like to thank?
Vick: I would like to thank all my teammates and friends from Team Lloyd Irvin, Phalanx mma academy, Ironside mma, and Weatherford boxing team who have all been so supportive and helped me progress into the fighter I am today. Also my Mom and Dad  and all my brothers and sister who are always so supportive of me and my career.

Thank you to James Vick for taking the time out to talk to us, we all wish him all the best for his fight and for all the fans who want to watch that fight against Ramsey Nijem then log on to Facebook on Saturday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment