phone: +420 776 223 443
e-mail: support@londoncreative.co.uk

Sunday 8 September 2013

Kingdom MMA speak to Mike Wilkinson ahead of his UFC fight in Manchester

Kingdom MMA catch up with Mike Wilkinson to speak about his fight at UFC Fight Night 30

by Ben Heather @benheather


Last week Kingdom MMA caught up with Mike Wilkinson. It has recently been announced that Mike will be fighting on the UFC's return to the UK, this will be Mike's first appearance in the octagon on home soil after his first two fights were in Australia and then Brazil. Not only is it home soil, its pretty much Mike's home town as he lives about 30 minutes drive from the arena he will be fighting in on October 26th.

Ben: How does it feel knowing that you will be walking out in front of possibly 21,000 in Manchester at an arena which is pretty much in your home town?
Wilkinson: Fighting at the MEN is a dream come true and to be putting on a show in front of all them people is just an added bonus. I cannot fuckin wait.

Ben: Does this fight with Jim excite you?
Wilkinson: Any fight in the UFC excites me, it doesn't matter who the opponent is.

Ben: You are coming in to this fight off the back of your first loss, are you using this to motivate you going in to the fight?
Wilkinson: Dead right, I've learnt a lot from that loss and to get my next win in my backyard is extra motivation.

Ben: Do you feel you have earned the chance to fight in the UK after fighting in Australia and then Brazil before?
Wilkinson: What do you think lol

It makes sense putting me on the Manchester card and I appreciate that the UFC have given me this shot, like I've said before I'll fight anyone, anywhere and will never pull out of a fight and let the UFC down.

Ben: What was your first reaction when you were offered this fight? Did you sign the contract instantly or have a think about it?
Wilkinson: I was chuffed to bits, I didn't even look who the opponent was I just replied to Sean Shelby "your a legend, yes I'm ready" haha

Ben: When I spoke to you at the Expo in Manchester, we spoke about your loss in Brazil and it seemed that you had come to terms with it and wanted to use it as a learning experience to help improve your career.
Would you say that was a fair comment and is this the attitude you live by?
Wilkinson: Obviously I was hurt that I had my first loss and yeah I was badly gutted and still am but it's how you comeback that counts and Oct 26th I'll be putting a fuckin SHOW on!!!!

Ben: When did you properly start your camp for this fight?
Wilkinson: I'm always training and keeping fit as its my job but when I get an email from the UFC it's fight mode and time to step things up.

Ben: Will you be bringing in anyone to help specifically for this fight or training on anything specifically based on Hettes skill set?
Wilkinson: Yeah slight adjustments have been made and I'll be more than ready come fight night.

Thank you to Mike for his time and for all the latest news regarding Mike be sure to check out his twitter account @M_WilkinsonMMA. If you have not already got your tickets for UFC Manchester they are still available from www.ticketmaster.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment