phone: +420 776 223 443
e-mail: support@londoncreative.co.uk

Thursday 12 September 2013

Jim Alers ahead of Cage Warriors 59 "I fight for more than just myself now"

Kingdom MMA catch up with Jim Alers ahead of Cage Warriors 59

by Chris Houten @mrhouts


Photo: Dolly Clew | Cage Warriors
 On Saturday night Jim Alers will put his Cage Warriors featherweight title on the line against Martin Svensson as the pair clash at the Motorpoint Arena, Cardiff, Wales. However today he took some time out of his busy schedule to answer our questions. The last time we spoke to Jim he took part in our Fighter vs Writer predictions challenge and became the first Fighter to beat one of the Kingdom MMA guys. However that is in the past and now the main focus is all about his fight.

Chris: On Saturday you will be taking on Martin Svensson at Cage Warriors 59, have you spent much time studying Svennson and what do you know about you opponent?
Alers: Yes I like to go over video with my coaches as soon as I find out who it is I am fighting. Luckily for me Svensson had just fought in June and it was almost a full 3 rounds. I got to see a lot of his fighting style. I know he is tall and likes to try and bully his opponents. I feel this will be a very dynamic fight.

Chris: Svennson is a tall guy for 145 standing 6’1, do you think he will look to keep you on the outside – stick and move?
Alers: I don't think that is his style from most videos I have seen. He actually is probably going to try to use his size to grab me and clinch with me. He has a lot of submission wins so I see him trying to take the fight in that direction

Chris: How has you training camp gone for your fight with Svensson?
Alers: I feel as good as ever. I just recently checked my pulse and it was at 37bpm. So I must be in amazing shape. I am injury free and also have worked to improve all of my weaknesses that I have seen over previous fights. If this fight turns into a sword fight I will be ready. I'm ready for anything.

Chris: Have you spent any of this camp with Duke Rufus at all, or did you do all of your camp in Florida this time?
Alers: This time I did not go to Dukes. I decided to stay at home close to family and friends. There are a ton of great schools in Florida so I took advantage of the talent in my own backyard. Most of my training was done at Alliance Orlando but I also trained at The Jungle MMA, Vagner Rocha Martial Arts, Pichis boxing Pit and my strength and conditioning at Crossfit Tough as Nails

Chris: Svensson has made reference to trying out for TUF 14 in the past, and I know you have also tried out for The Ultimate Fighter as well. Did you tryout for TUF 14 also, and if so do you remember crossing paths with Svennson or what his performance was like?
Alers: There was about 300 people there so if he was there I don't think I saw him. If I did see him I probably didn't think he was there to try out to be on the show. There aren't many 145ers that walk around as big as him.

Chris: I believe your wife has been heavily pregnant for this fight camp (Congratulations by the way!), with your child due within weeks of the fight. Do you feel this has affected your training camp at all?
Alers: Thanks a million I am so excited to see my little Beast already. It has affected me a lot with her being pregnant and so close to giving birth. It has lit a fire in me to try harder than ever every single practice. I fight for more than just myself now.

Chris: Cage warriors 59 will be you 5th fight in a row outside of the US, are you still happy with the travel aboard, or are you getting to the stage where you'd like to start fighting closer to home?
Alers: I say this tons of times. "If I get nothing else out of my MMA career at least I can say that I have see the world." Fighting abroad is the best thing that has ever happened to me. Would I like to fight at home again one day and have my family there, well of course but for now I'm enjoying the world.

Chris: I take it with all the travelling abroad to fight making you an expert at making weight comfortably under any circumstance now?
Alers: I pride myself in being very professional and doing my best to make my contracted weight. I think its from my wrestling background that I am so strict with my diet and weight cut. I've been cutting weight for 10 years now. I wrestled at 145lbs in high school also.

Chris: Last time we spoke you told me the dream was to fight in the UFC. At this stage would you consider any offers from Bellator, or are you holding out for the UFC?
Alers: Yes I am holding out for the UFC. That has been the dream since day 1. Right now however I am going to be the best Cage Warriors champ ever. If UFC doesn't call you will see me defending my title plenty of times under the CW banner.

Chris: Do you feel an impressive win over Svennson will put you in ‘ the shop window’ for the UFC, and have you had any indication you might be on the UFCs radar?
Alers: That's the plan. I Want to won decisively and show why I am the number 1 featherweight out there. Not only do I feel that I am the top featherweight in Florida or in Cage Warriors that is outside the UFC but I feel that I am number 1 in the world and should be next in line for a shot in the big show. Its seems to me that you don't know if you are on their radar until you get a call saying that you are fighting in the UFC.

Chris: Should the UFC, or any other promotion come in for you are you able to discuss a deal with said promotion or are you under contract obligations to Cage Warriors?
Alers: I am under contracted obligations with Cage Warriors which I don't mind because they are such a great company. There is however a zuffa clause in my contract that will allow me to fight for the UFC if they are knocking on my door. Other than that I don't want to fight for any other company. CW has given me so many amazing opportunities

Chris: A couple of months ago there was a bit of back and forth between you and Chris Fishgold. For the fans that might of missed it, can you explain what actually happened there?
Alers: Fishgold??? Oh yea that's that kid on twitter who is pretty cocky and thinks he deserves the next shot at my title. I am not sure what happened there I think he tried to Chael Sonnen his way into a title shot but I am very skilled in the art of trash talk. That stuff is not going to work on me.

Chris: Do you feel like Fishgold is the number 1 contender in the CW featherweight division at this stage?
Alers: I know he thinks he is but do I? No I don't think he is quite ready. He should have to fight a more experienced fighter with 10 wins or so before he gets a chance. There are a few more guys within the organisation who I feel deserve it before he does. He is tough though and is definitely on the radar to get a shot.

Chris: Finally Jim, give us a prediction on how you see the fight going on Saturday – how do you see yourself winning this fight?
Alers: Predictions are hard. I like to focus on one thing and that's getting my hand raised at the end and that strap being put kept around my waist. I will do whatever it takes to keep my belt so I am prepared for a nice long 5 round battle.

All the guys at Kingdom MMA would like to wish Jim all the best for the fight on Saturday night and thank you so much for your time ahead of defending your title.

No comments:

Post a Comment